Podcasts have become incredibly popular, with some of the latest stats there are nearly 465 million podcast listeners globally. But why are podcasts especially important for those dealing with cancer? Podcasts offer a unique way for people to find information, support, and comfort during challenging times. If you or someone you love is facing a cancer diagnosis, you might feel isolated or overwhelmed. Podcasts can provide a sense of community and connection, as many feature stories from cancer survivors, medical experts, and caregivers who share their experiences and knowledge. Listening to these podcasts can help you learn more about your condition, discover coping strategies, and feel less alone on your journey to find “the new normal” after a cancer diagnosis. So, whether it's learning about the latest treatment options or simply finding inspiration and hope, podcasts have become an invaluable resource for many cancer patients and their loved ones.
Why Listen to Cancer Podcasts
Here are some reasons to listen to cancer podcasts if you are a patient, caregiver or survivor of cancer:
- Information and Education: Podcasts offer cancer patients access to a wealth of information about their condition, treatment options, and the latest medical research, empowering them to make informed decisions about their health.
- Emotional Support: Many podcasts feature personal stories from cancer survivors and patients, helping individuals facing cancer feel less isolated and providing a source of emotional support and empathy.
- Coping Strategies: Podcasts often share practical tips and coping strategies for dealing with the physical and emotional challenges that come with cancer, helping patients navigate their journey more effectively.
- Community and Connection: Listening to podcasts allows cancer patients to connect with others who have similar experiences, creating a sense of community and reducing feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Inspiration and Hope: Inspirational stories of resilience and recovery featured in podcasts can provide cancer patients with a sense of hope and motivation, encouraging them to stay positive and determined throughout their treatment. Stories of people living with cancer can also show ways that people are still thriving despite a cancer diagnosis.
Benefits of Listening to Cancer Podcasts
Listening to cancer podcasts can be really helpful. First, they give you important information about cancer, like treatment options and what to expect. Plus, they can make you feel less alone because you hear from people who've gone through similar things. These podcasts also share tips for dealing with tough times, both physically and emotionally. And when you listen, you become part of a community of people who understand what you're going through, which can make you feel more connected. Finally, hearing stories of people who are living with cancer and thriving, or those who have survived cancer can give you hope and make you believe that you can, too. So, cancer podcasts offer knowledge, support, and inspiration during a challenging experience.
Top Recommended Podcasts for Cancer Patients and Caregivers
Here are some podcasts that we’ve enjoyed and found helpful in our cancer experiences (in no particular order!):
- Cancer Out Loud: The CancerCare Podcast - This podcast features conversations with people living with cancer, caregivers, survivors, loved ones and the bereaved. Wherever you are in your experience, CancerCare is here to provide help and hope.
- Cancer.net Podcast - This ASCO podcast offers trusted, timely, and compassionate information for people with cancer, survivors, and their families and loved ones. Cancer.Net Podcasts is an award-winning series providing expert information and tips on coping with cancer, recaps of the latest research advances, and thoughtful discussions on cancer care in audio format.
- You, me and the Big C - This BBC Radio5 studios podcast is a candid look at cancer that is funny and relatable. All of the hosts are connected to cancer in some way.
- Cancer Straight Talk from MSK - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center brings together national experts and cancer patients to have straightforward, evidence-based conversations. Their mission is to educate and empower patients and their families to make the right decisions and live happier, healthier lives.
- CURE Cancer Horizons - A weekly podcast that provides cancer updates, research & education by “CURE Magazine”. Each week, you’ll hear from patients, survivors, caregivers, advocates or health care professionals regarding the entire cancer continuum - ranging from specific cancer types to side effects to the psychological strains a cancer diagnosis can have on an individual and their loved ones.
- The Your Stories Podcast - This Conquer Cancer ASCO Foundation podcast provides candid conversations between people conquering cancer – patients, their family and friends, and doctors and researchers working to help us all.
Did we miss any of your favorite cancer podcasts? Comment below with your favorites!
Special Feature: The Patient from Hell Podcast by Manta Cares
We would be remiss to not mention our own podcast, Patient from Hell. Our podcast is published every other week and is available on Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon or wherever you get your podcasts. The Patient From Hell is not just a podcast, it's a community of individuals who understand your journey firsthand and are working to make things better for cancer patients and the people who support them. Hosted by cancer survivor and "Patient From Hell", Samira Daswani, each episode will educate, empower, inspire and most importantly, show you that you are not alone in your experience.
You can view past guests and listen to episodes here. Some notable guests include: Patrick Delaney (Head of NCCN Foundation), Paula Kim (Founder of PanCan), Dr. Yi-wen Huang (Metastatic breast cancer patient), Jane Gutkovich (Founder of the EHE Foundation and caregiver), Katie Coleman (Rare cancer patient and TikTok patient influencer), Dave Durante (Olympic gymnast and fitness expert), Dr. Manuela Kogon (Stanford professor and author), and many more!
In conclusion, podcasts can be super helpful for people dealing with cancer. They give us information, make us feel like we're not alone, and offer ways to handle tough times. Listening to these podcasts can connect us with a community of people who understand what we're going through and inspire us with stories of hope. So, whether you're a patient, a caregiver, or just curious, cancer podcasts offer knowledge, support, and encouragement during a challenging journey. They remind us that we're not alone, and that's a pretty powerful thing. Check out the podcasts we suggested above and let us know what you think about our podcast Patient from Hell, too!